Tuesday 24 July 2012

Peace Police

This is really funny this peace police thing. Why are people surprised when they see morals police in Saudi Arabia, called mutawwa and everyone thinks it is normal to have Peace Officers here.
No, however, I know exactly why they exist - to punish fare dodgers. Well, they target only immigrants because Canadians (non-immigrants) cannot be fare dodgers, no way!
I was on the train one day when two peace police officers entered the train. They checked if everyone had a ticket and there was a couple (a white couple) who had no tickets. What do you think the peace officer did? Instead of issuing a ticket, he said: Ok, no problem, make sure you have tickets next time.
The next day I was on the train. Accidentally, I left my monthly pass in the pocket of my other jacket. Shit happens, rite? According to Murphy's Law, the peace officers entered the train and while checking the tickets, I happened to have none. I was asked to leave the train at the nearest stop and follow the peace police. I was devastated and ashamed. I felt like a criminal walking out of the train. Well, the big dude with blue eyes stared at me and asked for my ID, I had only a health card. He asked me if I ever received a ticket before and I said NO, never. He said, Well, this is the time. You have to pay 150$. Boom! For what? I said I had a pass, I just left it and I offered to buy a ticket. No, he said, you have to pay the fine for not presenting a valid ticket when asked. Fine, I said, I will pay.
At the same time, another peace officer was chatting up a local girl who had no pass. Instead of writing her a ticket, he was chatting with her. I waited to see if she would get the ticket and she didn't .
I paid this stupid fine today. It is stated on the ticket that one should send it by registered mail. Holy cow! Extra 9$ to send a stupid letter within Calgary! So the fine is 159$ now. What a rip off!
Inevitably, I thought how different westerners get treated in other countries. They adjust very well in other cultures and then know they can act with impunity because local authorities, at least in my home country, will say we should respect guests (never mind they will shit on us) and no fine should be issued because we don't want to offend guests. Here, you pay double because you are a foreigner, an immigrant, that is WHERE the money comes from and you are treated like a criminal.
I remember one of my students was fined twice in one day for not having a ticket because she didn't speak English and didn't know where to buy a ticket. But issuing a fine twice is illegal here. Eventually, someone explained to her in Spanish where and how to get a ticket but she still had to pay a fine on her first day in Calgary. 










No comments:

Post a Comment